Saturday, February 21, 2015

Heartland Gourmet Gluten Free Red Velvet Cupcake Mix

(Please excuse the tare on the top of the box)

Got the privilege to try our Heartland Gourmet Gluten Free Red Velvet Cupcake mix
 for the first time last year.
Red velvet has to be one of my favorite cupcake/cake flavors up there with lemon,
so as you can imagine I had high hopes for this. 

I mixed all the ingredients just like It said to do on the box, put it in the oven & after they were done, they looked pretty good. 


The creative side of me came out and these plain red velvet cup cakes quickly turned into these lovely little beauties. 


So far, the baking of the cupcakes went without a hitch but I still had to taste these yummy looking things thing. 

With the first bite, I quickly realized my hopes were maybe just a little to high. 
They tasted almost like chocolate and didn't really have that original red velvet taste. 
The texture was extremely grainy and literally tasted like you were eating a cup cake that was mixed with ground up rice. I then looked on the box and to my dismay, they did include rice flour in the ingredients. 

Overall, these cupcakes aren't super bad and they hit the spot in a pinch but when it comes to being close to red velvet in taste and in texture, I would have to say it kinda missed the mark. 
Now if they would have used tapioca flour or some other flour other then rice, it might have turned out better. 

I give this product a 4 out of 5 star rating. 

What do you think of these cupcakes?. 
I'd love to hear from you-comment below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment